Fixes speedometer not working issues, speedometer "flickering or juddering", speedometer not consistent etc.
Introducing the all new drop in plug and play speedometer solution for Toyota MR2s with E153 transmission (factory turbo transmission) using a mechanical speedometer sensor. This solution eliminates the clunky original system utilizing a complex 90 degree worm gear system with a much simpler direct straight shot setup and does not require any modifications at all.
The MR2s mechanical speedometer system utilizes 2 speedometer cables which are combined into one (connection at under the middle of the car) and connects directly to the back of your gauge cluster and the bolt on assembly on the transmission that this product page is for. Please check those 2 cables and your gauge cluster with a drill first before installing this kit (use drill to spin cables).
As this kit replaces a sharp 90 degree transition (the purpose of the old 80s clunky original 90 degree gear unit) which was used to create less bends in the speedometer cable routing, we have 2 optional methods for solely this purpose. You only need one of the two, or you can also run without either of the 2 mentioned solutions, but your speedometer cable will have a relatively tight bend radius which may shorten cable lifespan and may affect performance.
- First optional solution offered is adding a 3rd speedometer cable to lengthen the oem speedometer cable and allow for a more relaxed bend radius instead of a sharper one caused by oem speedometer cable being short on length.
- Second optional solution is using a heavy duty new OEM Toyota Denso angled transition piece. This method will bolt right up to oem speedometer cable to our new aluminum sleeve without any modifications. The downside is this piece is its difficult and expensive to obtain.
- Third solution, which we highly do not recommend, is to run without either of the 2 above mentioned solutions and just plug your existing speedometer cable right to the new aluminum sleeve, but your speedometer cable will have a relatively tight bend radius to make that 90 degree turn which may shorten cable lifespan & performance.
- Bespoke Billet Aluminum 6061 Machined Sleeve (plugs into transmission and speedometer cable)
- Bespoke Billet Aluminum 6061 Machined Mounting Tab (Keeps sleeve in place)
- Bespoke Billet Stainless Steel Machined connecting key (Allows one to adapt/use oem nylon gears)
- Billet Nylon CNC Machined gear (OEM Replica)
- Billet Machined Gear Shaft for Nylon gear (OEM Replica)
- Viton FKM rubber O Ring seal (High Quality OEM Replacement)
- High Quality Radial Shaft Oil Seal (already pre-installed in aluminum sleeve)
- OEM Toyota Sleeve/Nylon Gear Shaft Retaining Clip
- 1x 3rd short speedometer cable or one new Denso angled transition piece
Tested to work with E153 transmissions from a MR2 (the factory MR2 turbo transmission, not for Non Turbo S54 transmissions!). This is a mechanical speedometer sensor and is not the same sensor used in 1993+ and newer MR2s (electric system). Works with both LSD and non LSD as well as newer E153s, assuming you want to swap from electrical back to mechanical
Upon designing this solution, we noticed it may also work on other Toyotas which we have not tested or verified. Please do your own homework, look at the pictures and decide for yourself
- 1988-1991 Toyota Camry
- 1988-1993 Toyota Celica
- 1988-1993 Toyota Corolla
- 1987-1992 Toyota MR2 (tested on SW20s, not on AW11s yet)
- Please test your existing 2 speedometer cables and gauge cluster with a drill first to verify those parts are in good working order before installing this kit.
- This solution replaces OEM part #s
- 33403-19406 - OEM Nylon Gear and shaft kit - Superseeds 33403-19405, 33403-12100
- 83798-17010 - Speedometer connecting pin
- 33404-17010 - OEM Sleeve assembly
- 83770-17020 - Clunky and redundant 90 Degree gear assembly
- 90468-12005 - Retaining C Spring Clip for Sleeve/Gear Shaft
- 96711-24018 - O Ring (Sleeve to transmission housing seal)